Nests are curated site-specific platforms for artists, scientists and local partners to explore topics relating to birds and habitats in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Russia. The Nests are linked thematically and connected to overarching concerns for the birds in our regions. Through the themes, the work in the Nests will inquire into ecology, science, politics, myths, and human relations with birds belonging to each Nest location.
- Migration/border crossing
- Interspecies collaboration between humans and birds
- Birds in language and literature
- Attitudes, values and prejudice towards different bird species
Our dialogue with ornithologists helped to identify four overarching concerns causing challenges for many bird species:
- Industrial practices in forestry, fishing and agriculture
- Increase of monoculture farmland
- Hunting practices
- Impact of climate change
The work created in the Nests will be shown as a series of events, exhibitions and other activities in the participating countries from 2022 onwards.